Can I pay into the Family Saver on my own?

If you would like to pay into the Family Saver, you can set up a bank transfer or regular Standing Order from your bank account.

To add money to your account, find your account details by logging in to the member portal.

To pay in a cheque, you can request a pre-paid envelope by emailing Please make sure you include your name, postcode and member number on the back of the cheque.

If you need to pay in cash, you can request a free Allpay card which can be used to make cash deposits at any Post Office or Paypoint outlet. We cannot accept cash in the post or at our appointment-based services.